- "The TranStar PPN-8 Pistol is the standard issue weapon for all TranStar security personnel. Small, fast, and quiet, this pistol provides satisfactory damage while maintaining a degree of stealth."
- – Tutorial [src]
Morgan finds the weapon on the corpse of a fallen security guard. On the back of the Pistol, there is a small screen showing the overall number of rounds in both the inventory and the magazine. The weapon seems to be built around a modified toggle-lock action, as a portion of the top of its upper frame is seen bending at an angle and moving backward to eject a fired round. During its empty reload, Morgan can be seen pulling a small handle on the side of the pistol in order to cock the action and chamber a new round.
Dismantle Results: 1 Spare Part
The Silenced Pistol is a "security weapon" and therefore requires Gunsmith I and II to fully upgrade.
Artemis Golden Pistol Edit
The Artemis Golden Pistol is a rare pistol that once belonged to the four-time World Champion Sports Shooter, Seleth Rain. It is now owned by Captain Jada Marks. It is the reward for completing the optional quest "Find Captain Marks' Golden Gun," which is activated by finding the body of Marietta Kyrkos in the Arboretum. The pistol itself is found in Jada Marks' safe in the Crew Quarters.
The Artemis Golden Pistol's starting firepower is the same as the fully upgraded firepower of the standard Pistol and it can be upgraded to be almost twice as powerful, but it is otherwise just a reskin of the Silenced Pistol.
Cannot be dismantled.
The pistol is best used against weaker enemies, or when fighting enemies that are capable of flying, and thus able to stay outside of shotgun range. The pistol is generally best used as a backup weapon, as it takes quite some time and a lot of ammunition to bring most enemies down. It can be useful for slowly wearing down a tough enemy with stealthy attacks since the sneak attack damage bonus is substantial and the enemy will not be made aware of precisely where the attack came from. The pistol is also an excellent tool for remote destruction of objects, such as explosive canisters.
Obviously, the Artemis Golden Pistol represents a better weapon overall, with two shots from the fully-upgraded Artemis doing slightly less than one shot from an unmodified Shotgun. This Pistol variant is a serviceable weapon even in straight-up combat against fairly tough enemies like Phantoms.
As a "security weapon", the Pistol benefits from the Neuromods Firearms I and II.
- The Security Guards among the survivors in the Cargo Bay remark that the pistols are "mostly for show", and that they don't seem to do much against the enemies they are facing. This is certainly true if one assumes that the guards are using un-upgraded pistols without the benefits of GLOO.
- The first pistol that can be found, if following the story strictly, is actually a Mimic (unless something has caused the mimic to move, which sometimes happens), but there is a real pistol nearby it. The player can spot both pistols before entering the room if they angle themselves correctly.
- The PPN-8 is likely not suppressed for stealth, but rather to prevent hearing damage. Outdoors this is not as much of a problem, but hearing damage is a constant danger in closed rooms such as indoor firing ranges and entry teams will tend to prefer suppressed weapons so that they do not have to wear ear protection.
- The PPN-8 features a charging handle to cock the pistol, which is incredibly unusual as most modern handguns are charged by racking the slide. It appears the pistol is mechanically based on the German Luger pistol, with the charging handle linked to the base of the toggle-lock rather than having a knob on the toggle-lock joint as with a standard Luger. Additionally, the body of the PPN-8 is similar in style to a Glock Pistol with its grips likely inspired by the Colt M1911.