Phantoms are humanoid Typhon that Weavers are able to create from human remains. Although they normally walk, once they are provoked, they tend to teleport. This makes them dangerous in a fight, as they can teleport behind Morgan as well as cover large distances instantly. Four types of Phantoms may be encountered, each of which has its own unique abilities. All types of Phantoms can be created by Morgan from human corpses through the ability Phantom Genesis.
Over the course of the game, Morgan may encounter a number of Phantoms that have the names of Talos I staff. Some of these must be defeated to gain items linked to certain objectives.
- Standard Phantoms are able to use Kinetic Blasts to fight. They can be scanned for Kinetic Blast I and II.
- Thermal Phantoms (Typhon anthrophantasmus psychothermal) use superheated plasma to fight. They can scanned for Superthermal I, II, and III, Thermal Resistance, and Thermal Absorption.
- Etheric Phantoms (Typhon anthrophantasmus psychoetheric) prefer close combat but are able to use Kinetic Blasts similar to regular Phantoms. They may also split into two when fighting and leave behind a toxic ether cloud upon death. They can be scanned for Phantom Shift I and II, Ether Resistance, and Ether Absorption.
- Voltaic Phantoms use electricity-based attacks. Even while not fighting, they generate electromagnetic fields that disrupt nearby electronics. They can be scanned for Electrostatic Burst I, II, and III, Electrostatic Resistance, and Electrostatic Absorption.
Phantoms look like black, shadowy, humanoid creatures. They look similar to humans, except they are hunched over, have necks that are slightly elongated forward, and like all Typhon, appear to be made of a black, tendril-like substance. They also possess two white glowing patches in place of their eyes, and their limbs are thin and slender. As a result of this and their tendril-like body structure, their arms appear to be almost tentacle-like. Voltaic Phantoms have the addition of crystals sticking out of their backs that emit electricity. Thermal Phantoms are smoldering and engulfed in flames. Etheric Phantoms emit clouds of purple, poisonous gas.
Phantoms with Talos I Staff Name are often drops their items related to the Side Quest that you will be working on.
- Blackbox Project
- Treasure Hunt
Talos I Staff Edit
Some Talos I Staff are being transformed into Phantom during the gameplay itself.
- Enouch Kouneva (Phantom)
- Randolf Hutchinson (Etheric Phantom)
- Yuri Kimura (Phantom)
- Nicole Hague (Phantom)
- Helen Barker-Combs
- Volunteer 12
The GLOO gun is extremely effective at pinning a Phantom down and allowing you to kill it with relative ease. Should it free itself, simply re-GLOO it again and continue attacking.
Shotguns are able to deal a lot of damage to them, especially after using the GLOO gun to help close the distance, making it easy to handle them. Just be conscious of your ammo. It is also effective since the player uses the shotgun at point-blank range, the Phantom will sometimes be stunned and fall down.
Turrets are variably effective. While able to kill Phantoms in seconds, it is easy for a single Phantom to teleport to a turret's blind spot and destroy it just as quickly. Contrasting Mimics, the player cannot simply rely on turrets to deal with Phantoms.
The player should be wary about Voltaic Phantoms around explosive canisters as their passive electricity generation will cause the canisters to explode.
If the player has the Phantom Genesis ability, they can create Phantoms out of human corpses to fight for them. Voltaic Phantoms, in particular, are effective at dealing with Corrupted Operators and Military Operators because they disable them with their attacks.