- "Hello Morgan. I'm January twenty thirty five. I'm an Operator. There are many Operators aboard Talos I, but none of them are like me."
- – January introducing itself to Morgan. [src]
January is a modified Operator created and modified by Morgan Yu to remember everything they forgot over the Neuromod extractions.
When Morgan Yu discovered that they were being made to relive the same day of their life over and over again through the repeated injection and removal of their Neuromods by their brother Alex Yu, they took drastic actions to try and break free from the cycle, reprogramming an Operator that they would name January to act as a sort of back up of themselves in the event they was captured and their memories erased again.
When the latest Typhon Outbreak started January seized the opportunity it needed to try to rescue Morgan. As a start, it began hiding Neuromods around the station in such places as a display case in the lobby and guiding Morgan to them. It also uploaded a list of commercially available Neuromods to Morgan's Transcribe designed to augment their medical, engineering and security skills to superhuman levels.
Finally the rogue robot contacted Morgan and convinced them to break out of their simulated apartment, guiding them through the station via remote communication.
Prey (2017) Edit
January serves as a guide for Morgan, telling what was missed of it and what Morgan needs to do. January is also armed with a Disruptor Gun as self-defense.
On the end of the game, if Morgan chooses to destroy Talos I January will knock Alex unconscious if Morgan made it to the bridge before Alex destroys it. However if Morgan decides to deploy the Nullwave Transmitter, you have to destroy January to activate the transmitter. In both choices that will lead to LGV 3.5, January is most likely destroyed due to either the self-destruct of Talos-1 or it is destroyed by Morgan when January attempts to stop the player's attempts to activate the Nullwave Transmitter.
- Depending on the player's choice, January will speak in female or male Morgan voice.
- January knows it is a machine with Morgan's voice, but states itself to be Morgan Yu at least once, while confronting Alex. This may be indication of growing sentience, or the fact that Morgan copied a good amount of himself into the Operator, thus making January a copy of past Morgan.
- January is capable of disobeying and exceeding its directives, and even states being able to do so. This makes it unique among its kind, though it is still largely bound by its programming.
- If the player chooses to destroy January early in the game, it will not respawn. When looted players will find a note from the previous Morgan and a neuromod.