Gardening Tips is a side mission in Prey (2017).
By using Dr. Howard's formula I can grow the superfruit to replenish my health and psi.
- Find Dr. Julien Howard.
- Fabricate the growth formula.
- Place growth formula into the sprinkler control system.
- Activate the sprinkler system.
- Harvest your fruit after the growth cycle is complete.
- Harvest the superfruit.
When you first enter Arboretum during Detour, you’ll notice a small garden area near the vent you crawl through. There’s a sprinkler control system console with a note nearby that will start you on the Gardening Tips optional objective. While it seems like a time sink, this objective actually rewards you with an amazing item: Dr. Howard's Superfruit. You can make it as many times as you want, and it fully restores both your health and your psi.
Find Dr. Julien Howard Edit
Your first task is to find Dr. Howard. He’s got the fabrication plan for his secret formula. Head to the security station in the entrance to Crew Quarters. Use the computer there to activate his tracking bracelet.
There are a few ways to get to his body on top of the rocks in the middle of the Arboretum:
- The easiest is to just use the rocks (or a combination of the rocks and GLOO) to climb up.
- If you’re further along in the game and have Alex’s grav lift code, you can jump down from Alex’s office.
- Or you can make your way around to the Looking Glass display — it’s on the far side of the rocks from the garden where this objective starts. Smash through the glass and use GLOO to climb up the vent on the other side.
Julian’s body is at the top. All you have to do is loot his corpse for his TranScribe and the Dr. Howard’s growth formula fabrication plans.
There’s a fabricator back where you exited G.U.T.S.. Just backtrack to it and build yourself (at least) one growth formula.
Back up top, drop the growth formula into the console where you found the original note and push the button.
Harvest you fruit Edit
The growth cycle takes 10 real-world minutes — which is impressive in real life, but problematic in a video game. While you’re here, you can work on main storyline missions like Detour or Gathering Echoes or optional objectives like Shuttle Advent or Golden Gun.
After the 10 minutes is up, you’ll get a notice that you’ve completed the next task in your objective. You’ll get a new one that tells you to go pick the fruit. Head back to the garden and collect your reward. At this point, you can repeat the process as much as you want.